Thursday, December 29, 2016

Judge Parker and Dried Apple Pie

Since I mention Judge Isaac Parker aka The Hanging Judge in my next book of the Brides Along the Chisholm Trail series, I thought it might be interesting to share a bit of information about Judge Parker. 

In The Marshal's Bride, US Deputy Marshal Gabe Hawkins has been reassigned to Indian Territory just days before his mail-order bride, Abigail Johnson, arrives in Dodge City and he didn't tell her before they were wed. Naughty boy!

To read about Judge Parker go to Legends of America.

I have ever had the single aim of justice in view... 'Do equal and exact justice,' is my motto, and I have often said to the grand jury, 'Permit no innocent man to be punished, but let no guilty man escape.'"


-Judge Isaac C. Parker, 1896


I may have a few other historical surprises along the way as I write the love story for Abby and Gabe.

Here's a recipe that Abby used along the trail on their way from Dodge City to Fred, Indian Territory.  It's from one of my favorite research books: Time Life Books, The Old West, The Pioneers, page 106, "The expedient art of pioneer cookery."


Dried Apple Pie

Soak 2 cups of dried apples in water overnight.
Drain off the water and mix apples with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon each of allspice and cinnamon.
Line an 8-inch pie pan with a crust, add the apple mixture, dot with 3 tablespoons of butter and cover with a second crust.
Make a few slashes in the top for ventilation and bake (in 350 oven) for about 1 hour, until the crust is golden brown.


No comments: